Amsterdam: The Dutch royal family has strongly condemned an attack on high-profile Dutch crime reporter Peter R de Vries, who is fighting for his life after being shot in central Amsterdam on Tuesday evening. The incident was “an attack on journalism,” King Willem-Alexander said on Wednesday in an interview broadcast by NOS. Journalism is “a cornerstone of our democracy. This is also an attack on our constitutional state,” the king said. Speaking in front of Dutch journalists, the king also expressed his compassion. “It must be horrible when this happens to a colleague.” De Vries was shot after leaving a television studio in Amsterdam and is currently in hospital with life-threatening injuries, dpa reported. Three suspects were arrested during the night, two on a nearby motorway and one in Amsterdam. The attack shocked the country and TV channels aired special reports on it. De Vries is a leading crime reporter in the Netherlands and also regularly appears as a spokesperson for victims or witnesses at trials. Currently, he is the confidant of the key witness in a major trial against organized crime. In connection with the trial, the lawyer of the state witness had already been shot in 2019.
Trending
- HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister meets with the Sultan of the Sultanate of Oman
- HH Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad honours winners of 5th edition of King Hamad Award for Youth Empowerment to achieve Sustainable Development Goals
- Tamkeen announces launch of 2026 – 2030 strategy and celebrates 20th anniversary
- Cabinet Affairs Ministry participates in Sports Day activities
- 26 government services developed across 11 entities
- HH Shaikh Isa bin Salman bin Hamad attends 19th race for Al Sharif Group, Crown Industries, Safra Cups
- HM King, HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister exchange cables on 25th anniversary of National Action Charter
- Three migrants died, two boats capsized off the coast of Panama

